Growing Up Is Optional [DONE]

An odd and rather fey place, just on the border between County Monaghan and the North. Beware the goats.

Moderator: Rabastan Lestrange

Growing Up Is Optional [DONE]

Postby Rodolphus Lestrange » Tue, 2009.06.16 19:22

[Follows Come Calling.]
*~Wednesday, June 12, 1974~*
Rumpled Wench Tavern, Evening

It was a dingy place, one step up from the earth-and-straw-floored alehouse that had preceded it, an improvement only in that the floor was now wood. The tables had survived nearly a century of abuse, by virtue of being nearly half a foot thick, and most of the benches had survived the inevitable fights, as well, with the exceptions showing their age in lighter hues. There was a single round table in the place, shoved back in a corner by the kitchen door, and it was known to belong to the Freeholders. No one questioned this -- it had simply always been that way. No one spoke of it, just as no one spoke of the fact that the Freeholders seemed to get no older, with the passing years. It was the way of this place, even with the old fortress gone. The town was steeped enough in magic that the resident Muggles hardly noticed the occasional broom flight, or jarvey. The last jarvey in town, in fact, had been entertained in this very pub for several hours, before the Freeholders came to take it away.

Enter Roddy Lestrange, one of the Freeholder boys, in the company of an Englishman in a kilt, and a boy who might or might not be blood of some obscure branch of his family.

"My pet Englishman is getting old!" Roddy shouted, to the pub at large. "Who's to show him how it's done, with style? Drinks! Drinks for him! Drinks for me! Drinks for this poor little snipe, beside me!"

He grabbed his companions' hands and dragged them to the table always set aside for his folk -- for a night with no Freeholders in the tavern was a strangely quiet night.
Last edited by Rodolphus Lestrange on Tue, 2009.06.23 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
Dandy in the underworld / Dandy in the underworld
When will he come up for air / Will anybody ever care...?
Rodolphus Lestrange
Approved

Re: Growing Up Is Optional [OPEN]

Postby Lucius Malfoy » Wed, 2009.06.17 01:06

Lucky snorted, and followed Roddy, a slight smile on his face. Only place he'd ever been introduced as a 'pet Englishman', and trust Roddy to do it. "Announcing to all and sundry, Roddy?" he asked quietly. "And 20 is hardly old."
Lucius Malfoy
Forum Mod

Postby Rodolphus Lestrange » Wed, 2009.06.17 01:11

"Aw, come now, Lucky. If you're my pet, it just means you're not food." Roddy laughed and dropped into a seat against the wall. "They're not so deaf they won't hear your accent, and with the way things have gone, of late, the boys are a little bloodthirsty."

He smirked at Sev and pulled out the chair that sat directly against the corner. "I'll assume you meant what you said about corners. It'll keep you out of reach, too."
Rodolphus Lestrange
Approved

Postby Severus Snape » Wed, 2009.06.17 01:15

Severus slipped silently into the seat in the corner, looking suspiciously around the room. He'd heard every word said to Lucky, and it wasn't as though he were any less English. He was, however, more than a little less loud, and it wasn't his birthday. And, if Roddy was right, he looked like one of the Morgans -- an ugly one, but no less one for it.

"You may not be old, Lucius, but you're older than him." He jabbed a slim finger at Roddy and rolled his eyes. "It's Roddy talking. Everything's in direct relation to him."
"I want to believe in the nobility of the human spirit [...] but you've caught me at a bad moment, and I can't."
Severus Snape
Approved

Postby Lucius Malfoy » Wed, 2009.06.17 01:22

"I think you left a notable word out of that sentence, Sev," he said teasingly. "And of course I've an english accent. I think trying to fake the appropriate one would only make me stick out worse. I was just hoping some of the locals might remember me from the last several times I've been to visit. Then again, now is probably not the time for an Englishman to play devil's advocate."

"That, and any of them come after Sev, I'll have to help keep his innocence intact. After all, if I let anything happen, he'd not be nearly as much fun to tease." He dropped into the last seat with some cover, leaving the chair with it's back to the room open.
Lucius Malfoy
Forum Mod

Postby Rodolphus Lestrange » Wed, 2009.06.17 01:34

"It's always best to offer a reminder to the drunks," Roddy said, sliding lazily down in his chair as he waved to the lass with the pints. She winked and flipped her skirt at him, as she moved to serve what was on the tray, before attending to their little party.

"And if anyone goes to lay a hand on this little spot of my favour, you'll not be the worst to come for them." He ran a finger under Sev's chin, and was middling surprised he didn't get bitten. That was the usual way, but then, Sev wasn't actually a cousin.

"But, all in all, it's quiet enough, tonight. And after a few rounds, maybe it'll be too quiet." He grinned smoothly and ran the side of his foot up the inside of Lucky's leg, below the knee.
Rodolphus Lestrange
Approved

Postby Severus Snape » Wed, 2009.06.17 01:37

"I can take care of myself, you know. It's considered a Wizarding locale, isn't it? No trouble if I have to drop a hex or three?" Severus shook his head, and eyed one and then the other of his proclaimed protectors. "I'm not nearly as hopeless as Roddy, here."

"And I don't see any words missing from the last thing I said. They were all there and in the right order. I've checked. Four times, now."
"I want to believe in the nobility of the human spirit [...] but you've caught me at a bad moment, and I can't."
Severus Snape
Approved

Postby Lucius Malfoy » Wed, 2009.06.17 01:45

"Of course you can, Sev. If it's just one or two of them. Besides, why deny us the fun?" he asked, a grin on his face. "And I'd tell you the word you missed, but I don't think you want your face to match colours with Roddy's hair, do you?"

"And hey," he said a little pointedly. "Roddy's not hopeless, his talent just lies in other areas." Lucky leaned back in his chair a bit, pretending he hadn't noticed Roddy's foot.
Lucius Malfoy
Forum Mod

Postby Severus Snape » Wed, 2009.06.17 01:55

Sev's face torqued through an uncomfortable series of expressions as he tried to imagine what Lucky thought he'd left out. On second thought, he probably didn't want to know...

"... Fun? Since when is getting the snot beaten out of oneself 'fun'?" He pointed at Roddy, again. "You're a genius. We know this. So, tell me, genius, that's fun!?"

He looked somewhat horrified, but was willing to concede that there might be some fun in it, if you were winning, which didn't happen nearly often enough, and usually, he was on his way to do something more important, and didn't have the time to savour the thrill of conquest... But, really, such barbarity...
Severus Snape
Approved

Postby Rodolphus Lestrange » Wed, 2009.06.17 02:03

"Ah, Sev, it's more fun than I think you'll ever appreciate." Roddy sighed, dramatically, one hand draped over his brow. "Nothing quite like the crunch of bone and that hot, wet fountain of blood, when you break a man's nose with your forehead. Can't do it sober, though. Just gives me the cold shivers thinking of throwing a punch."

He winked saucily at the bar maid. "Good even', Mary-love. And maybe a better one, later, aye?"

"Ach, go on," she groaned, throwing her dishrag at his face.

Roddy caught it mid-air and tossed it back. "A bottle of Jamie for the table, and the house stout all around. Special occasion, tonight. Put it on the tab, you know we're good for it."

"Startin' to think it's all you're good for, boyo. All talk, with you." Mary grinned as she stepped away from the table.

"Any night of the week you want more than talk, you just let me know, lass!" Roddy called out, but she just flicked the dishrag in his general direction, as she went to attend another table.
Rodolphus Lestrange
Approved

Next

Return to Ballycastle, Ireland