Tour de France (Babs)

While wizarding power tends to follow muggle power, French wizarding society never left the baroque glory of Versailles.

Tour de France (Babs)

Postby Lucius Malfoy » Thu, 2010.02.18 08:51

*~ Friday, September 6th, 1974 ~*

Lucius carefully straightened his robes, once the portkey had deposited them in the public depot in Versailles. He had owled his Uncle Julien, after obtaining his instructions, and had arranged to meet him at his Uncle's Versailles flat.

"You ready for this one, Babs?" he asked. "I know I've spent enough time here to be fully fluent, but I'm afraid I don't know how much French you speak."
Lucius Malfoy
Forum Mod

Re: Tour de France (Babs)

Postby Rabastan Lestrange » Thu, 2010.02.18 09:03

"Na Fraince? Ní leor trioblóide a chur faoi deara." Rabastan smirked. "I can tell what's happening, but I can't speak it except to order breakfast."

He took a deep breath and looked around. "Where are we staying, or did the man say we should make our own arrangements? All I know is that I'm to go with you, to ... assist in the negotiations."

From the looks of the depot, Versailles would be one of those hideously baroque places. Rabastan loved cities, but he preferred them grimy and honest, not candied and glamorous. The very look of the place was giving him a toothache.
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never really care for anything else.
-- Ernest Hemingway
Rabastan Lestrange
Forum Mod

Postby Lucius Malfoy » Thu, 2010.02.18 09:08

"Smartarse," Lucky said with a chuckle. "I imagine your assistance is only in case of trouble," he said with a smile. "And I've made arrangements for us to stay with my uncle. Whom is apparently in correspondence with the man, which makes it much more convenient than, say, staying with Grandmere."

Lucky stopped to look at Babs critically for a moment. "Now, time to do your best impression of Roddy, and neaten your clothes," he said seriously. "They take appearances seriously, here. And If you're to be with me for negotiations, you need to look the part, as much as is possible."
Lucius Malfoy
Forum Mod

Postby Rabastan Lestrange » Thu, 2010.02.18 09:15

Rabastan hissed in disgust, barely managing to contain a wrathful outburst at being compared to his brother. "Just because I won't wear shining symbols of wealth doesn't mean I've no taste. It just means I look like an abbot in a room full of marquesses. I enjoy simplicity."

Still, he popped a cuff and straightened the belt of his robes, before following Lucius out of the depot.
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough, and liked it, never really care for anything else.
-- Ernest Hemingway
Rabastan Lestrange
Forum Mod

Postby Lucius Malfoy » Thu, 2010.02.18 09:31

Lucky sighed, and shook his head. Head held high, he led the way through the streets. Sartorial splendour had much more significance here than back home in England. But there was only so much he could do, after Babs's comment about marquesses.

Having reached their destination on one of the side streets, Lucky knocked politely. The door was answered by a well-dressed wizard of more than middle age, to guess by appearances. "Oncle Julien," he said with a smile as the man gestured them into the flat.

"Mai je vous présente mon compagnon Rabastan Lestrange. Rabastan, ceci est mon oncle, Julien Morreaud."
Lucius Malfoy
Forum Mod

Postby Rabastan Lestrange » Thu, 2010.02.18 09:46

Tucking his hands into opposite cuffs, Rabastan nodded deeply enough to qualify as a moderate bow. "Forgive me. Je parle mal le français. It is an honour to meet you, M. Morreaud."

He followed Lucius into the apartment, carefully blank-faced and straight-backed.
-- Ernest Hemingway
Rabastan Lestrange
Forum Mod

Postby Lucius Malfoy » Thu, 2010.02.18 09:54

Julien nodded. "Then it's well enough I speak Le Anglais, is it not? I admit to a slight surprise, but no matter. Sit, sit," he said, doing as he'd suggested.

"Thank you for letting us stay here, Oncle Julien," Lucky said. "It is much easier to arrange things from here, than from Grandmere's, and you, at least, understand that we are here for negotiations, not my usual round of family visits." Lucky walked over and took a seat in a rather ornate and delicate chair, his posture and bearing far more formal than the norm around his friends.
Lucius Malfoy
Forum Mod

Postby Rabastan Lestrange » Thu, 2010.02.18 10:01

Rabastan took the seat to Lucius's left, sitting stiffly in the overdone chair, every inch the monk in his heavy, black, cowled robe. "Indeed, sir. Our employer sends his thanks for both your discretion and your willingness to assist. I thank you, as well. This seems much more pleasant than a hotel."

He might've been lying about the hotel part. Privacy was another of Rabastan's great loves.
-- Ernest Hemingway
Rabastan Lestrange
Forum Mod

Postby Lucius Malfoy » Thu, 2010.02.18 10:08

"Oh, how careless of me," Julien said. "Lucius, when you wrote, I opened up your mother's flat next door. Maman probably never told you it was yours to use, because she preferred you to stay with her in the country when you were here."

Lucky looked at his uncle, startled. "Maman had a flat?" he asked.

"Mais oui, she had a flat. The family has several, for the use of the rest of us, when in town. We don't all want to live at home all the time." Julien said. "And this way, you may go about your business without concern for your hours. There is a connecting door, but you are welcome to lock it from your side."

"Merci, Oncle," Lucky said with a charming smile. "I didn't mean to put you to such trouble."
Lucius Malfoy
Forum Mod

Postby Rabastan Lestrange » Thu, 2010.02.18 10:16

Relief washed over Rabastan, not that it showed, except perhaps in a slightly surprised twitch of one eyebrow. The man had some sense of discretion, which was a definite benefit, even if they didn't have to share a flat with him.

Still, he remained stoic and silent. None of these goings on were yet his affair.
-- Ernest Hemingway
Rabastan Lestrange
Forum Mod

Next

Return to Wizarding Versailles